Friday, March 5, 2010

Feeding the bees

Recently someone asked a close friend of mine if I was an "old soul". They had heard that I was a knitter and thought that was an odd thing for a 26 year old! My friend replied "definitely not". At first I was satisfied with her answer because anything describing me with the word "old" in front of it doesn't sound very attractive but recently I've had to re-examine myself to decide if I really am an old soul for the following reason...I feed the bees. Basically, since I was a kid, we ALWAYS fed the birds. It was something my parents took great pleasure in doing and often times while we were sitting at the kitchen table and a beautiful bird flew into our feeder, we would all stop talking or eating to enjoy the bird. Through that I got to know the names of most common birds. In buying my house in Texas, one of the "must haves" was to have trees in my yard. Little did I know that I would end up with over 1.5 acres of trees and several birds. Last year I put up a finch feeder, hummingbird feeder and small bird feeder. I don't think word got out to the birds about the free food last year but they definitely made it headline news this year because the birds are eating like crazy! They are eating between half to 3/4 tube of food per day! I knew it wasn't hummingbird season yet but simply to keep them ready, I decided to fill the hummingbird feeders too. I noticed after a year days that the liquid was definitely going down but I knew it wasn't the hummingbirds. Yesterday I went out the feeder and noticed about 20 bees on the feeder having a hay day! The best part is that since the liquid is red, their stomachs actually glow red! So now I'm not only someone who feeds the birds but I also feed the bees.

So maybe there's a part of me that is an "old soul" but don't tell my future husband until after we're married! Don't want him to think I'm old : )

No comments:

Post a Comment