Friday, April 9, 2010

Moths in the pantry...again!!

Last year, around the middle of the summer, I discovered moths in my pantry. Not thinking too much about it, I killed the ones I could see and cleaned up their little bodies. A few days later, there were more moths. With the business of the summer, when I was home, I would clean the pantry of moths. When my parents came for a visit, to my mother's great disgust, she found the moths. Unlike her daughter, who was naive to the origin of moths, my mother began taking things out of the pantry and teach her daughter a lesson in the progression and creation of moths. Much to my disgust, almost all the items in my pantry that came in bags or boxes, had been eaten through and have larva as well as eggs living in it! My mother went about the task of cleaning out the entire pantry and purchasing several plastic containers to store the newly purchased replacement food. It took about a week to clean the entire pantry and remove all signs of moths and larve. We'll, about a year later, I found moths in my pantry again this week. Instead of just killing the few on the top, I took everything out of the pantry, put it on the table and told the girls to go through their stuff. I wrote the following letters:


The girls were quite disgusted by the sample larva and bag with larva and eggs growing in it. As I write this, I feel a little queezy. So last night once the girls had gone through all their items and put it back in the pantry in plastic bins, I disposed of 4 full garbage bags. I'm confident that some of that food had been in the pantry since I purchased the house over a year and a half ago! The problem with living with so many people is that they forget what they bought so they never eat it and when the time comes, no one claims it! In the end, I was able to transform the pantry and excite my organizational (aka, nerdy) side and label the pantry. I wish I had taken a before picture of the pantry but didn't think of it until I was taking the finishing picture! Here is what the pantry looks like now!

Notice the labels on the plastic bins! This makes my heart very happy! If I was as cool as my friend Lisa Hasz I would buy a label maker machine but I think my roommates would fear me labelling them with my passion for labelling! Naiyah's label would read "lazy dog - no need to beware". Pookey's label (the cat) would read "careful - I bite". I will leave my roommate's labels undisclosed!

So after a clean pantry, freshly mowed lawn and cleaned baseboards in the living room, life at home seems more at peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment